interview by P3
subject: Raiano Laughlin, Interview 3/22/06, Santa Monica,
favorite surfers- taj burrow, andy irons, vetea david
2. mates that surf- hira teriinatoofa, malik joyeux (rip)
3. skate/snow board? carve board, snowboarding
in big bear
4. if you could hyperspace anywhere right now, where'd ya
go? fitii Barrel 8-10 foot south rolling through,
no wind about 5:45am alone with the beach to myself.
The ocean and Raiano.
5. favorite place to surf? paparaa beach break, fitii
6. best wave? teachupoo
7. home break? tiamao
8. influences or drives? AI, hira terriinatoofa,
bonga perkins, manoa drollet, i could go on. i like the new
school style. launching airs is cool fun. for old school 'poto'.
9. sponsors? some gear from invade.com, currently
i am open to offers.
10.where have your surf travels taken you? hawaii,
topanga, tahitian islands, australia, 3 week boat trip in
11. favorite food? i like chinese and tahitian food.
sometimes i might not like vegatables though.
12. best discovery on the road? perfect haliweia
dec 05 and topanga dec 22-23, 2005
12. person you'd like to meet? angelina jolie and
jennifer aniston, but i have a girlfriend
13. ever been on the cover of a mag? surf mag cover
no , but once i was on the cover of a jet ski mag.
14. any life quotes? i heard bonga say "
appreciate life like every day is your last. " i like
that saying. live life full.
15. favorite fish? one of my favorite fish is the
shark or mao. it moves so sleek and that shape in the water
is just scary. i like orca whales too. like free willy. killer
whales are radical. i prefer dolphins. i like watching them
in the water.
Laughlin was born in Tahiti and has had the opportunity to
learn about the ocean in an amazing place. long paddles, strong
currents, shallow reefs, and great mentors have helped shaped
this kid into something incredible. Raiano says Taj Burrow
will be world champ someday because of his new approach to
surfing and loves to see the reverse airs to keep his adrenaline
stoked up. He has tried tow in surfing, been barrelled at
teachupoo and knows where 'poto' lives. He also had the special
priveledge of surfing with Malik Joyeux and calling him
Back to Interviews main page